The Great Lakes Towing Company is seeking a General Manager for its machine shop division, Plotz Machine. This position is an excellent career and promotional opportunity for someone seeking to transition into the General Manager position of a thriving machine shop operation.
The General Manager will report to the current General Manager and provide leadership and oversight of daily operations and scheduling for the machining shop and ensure the safe and effective completion of all work orders and shop projects on time, within budget and in a high-quality manner. The General Manager will use his/her experience and expertise to support the current General Manager as they transition into retirement, generate new business, and identify and resolve any potential problems or concerns during performance of work.
- Direct all daily production work and efficiently manage all machine shop resources.
- Estimate costs and lead time for quotations to clients.
- Actively manage operations, including planning and coordinating scheduling to achieve production targets with required resources, yield, and lead time.
- Oversees all shop personnel, budgets, schedules, purchasing, vendor tracking, labor hour forecasting, invoicing and P&L.
- Monitor and oversee progress, ensuring work complies with specification and client requirements and that every aspect of the finished product is safely completed in a quality manner within budget and delivery time required.
- Maintain continuous process improvement and training and updating of employees in areas of safety, quality, procedures, and policies and ensure strict adherence of all company manufacturing standards, methods, and policies.
- Prepare and monitor bid proposals.
- Must be able to program and operate equipment and manage machine maintenance.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office software is required in addition to utilization of the Company’s job cost and purchasing software system.
- 10-years of proven experience desired, with strong mechanical/technical background and 5-years of supervisory experience.
- Must be highly skilled at programming manual, semi-automated or automated tools and machines (lathes, grinders, etc.).
- Must have experience with machining of various materials, including aluminum and stainless steel.
- Must have excellent leadership, problem-solving skills, and the ability to manage competing priorities.
- A business acumen to profitably grow the business is strongly desired.
PHYSICAL REQUIREMENT/WORK ENVIRONMENT
- Wear Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) appropriate for job duties
- Carry up to 50 pounds
- Bend, twist, kneel and reach constantly
- Endure noise, fumes, and dust.
We offer an excellent benefits package that includes healthcare, dental, vision, short-term and long-term insurance, 401(k) profit sharing plan, vacation time, sick time and company paid holidays.
HOW TO APPLY
Submit your application online or print and email or mail in by visiting our Careers page.